History

1904 Coshocton Carnegie Library1904 - Coshocton’s Carnegie Library, located on the corner of 4th Street and Chestnut Street in Coshocton, Ohio is completed. The library was the 1,000th library funded by Andrew Carnegie. 

 

 

1924 Johnson-Humrickhouse Museum collection1924 Coshocton City Council turned over responsibility of the Johnson-Humrickhouse Museum collection to the library, due to the museum not having enough funds for a location or maintenance. 

 

 

 

1931 Johnson-Humrickhouse Museum1931 - The Johnson-Humrickhouse Museum opens its doors in the Sycamore School building leased by the Coshocton Public Library Board.

 

 

 

1936 Main Street building-WL Branch1936 - The West Lafayette Branch opens on October 10th in a vacant basement room of the Main Street School located in West Lafayette, Ohio. 

 

 

 

 

1936-1946 WL Branch Main Street School 1936-1946 - Sometime in this time frame, the West Lafayette Branch is moved into a different room in the basement of the Main Street School.  

 

 

1946 - 117 East Main Street - WL Branch1946 - The West Lafayette Branch is moved to 117 East Main Street, West Lafayette where it remains for 29 years. The school was in need of the basement space the library had been occupying.   

 

 

1939 Dodge Bookmobile1952 - A 1939 Dodge Bookmobile is purchased for $500 to offer library services remotely. 

 

 

 

 

1954 Carnegie Interior1954 - Discussion began to consider adding on to the Carnegie building; however, the site was found to be unsuitable for reconstruction. Later, the building is remodeled.

 

 

1955 Gerstenslager Bookmobile1955 - The Gerstenslager Bookmobile is purchased and serves the county until 1968. 

 

 

 

 

1966 bookmobile1966 - A new 29-foot bookmobile is purchased to carry more resources for $24,000. 

 

 

1974 library moves to former post office building1974 - The library moves to the former post office building on the corner of 7th and Main, Coshocton, Ohio.

 

 

 

 

 

1975 WL Branch - 108 East Main St1975 - The West Lafayette Branch Library is relocated in October to 108 East Main Street, West Lafayette to allow for more resources.

 

 

 

1979 Johnson-Humrickhouse Museum - Roscoe Village1979 - On July 7, the Johnson-Humrickhouse Museum opens in a newly constructed building located in Roscoe Village.

 

 

 

1984 - The Blue Bird bookmobile is purchased.1984 blue bird bookmobile

 

 

 

 

1988 new addition 7th & Main1988 - An addition is constructed on the 7th and Main location to house an expanded children’s room, offices, basement storage, and workspace for staff.

 

 

 

1991 WL Branch - 601 East Main St1991 - On July 15, the West Lafayette Branch is relocated to 601 East Main Street, West Lafayette to allow for better parking and more resources. A grand opening celebration is held on August 24.

 

 

 

1995 library renovation1995 - The library is renovated to improve accessibility, increase shelf space, and allow for modern technology.

 

 

 

 

1996 blue bird bookmobile1996 - A more modern Blue Bird bookmobile is purchased.

 

 

 

2000 centennial statue2004 - The Coshocton Public Library’s centennial is celebrated by commissioning a sculpture to be created by Alan Cottrill of Alan Cottrill Sculpture Studio in Zanesville, Ohio.

 

 

 

 

 

2005 WL Rotary Club Reading Shelter2005 - The West Lafayette Rotary Club donates the Reading Shelter to the West Lafayette Branch as the club’s Centennial project with seating provided by two Eagle Scouts.

 

 

 

 

 

2006 centennial statue unveiled2006 - The Coshocton Public Library Centennial Statue is unveiled.   

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2018 bluebird bookmobile 2017 - A 2018 Bluebird bus is delivered to serve as the new bookmobile. The bus is 36 feet long and has a 4,500 material capacity. About half of the funding for the new bookmobile was raised through grants from local foundations and businesses, and through private donations. 


Source URL: https://coshoctonlibrary.org/content/history